If you have a project-based business, you’re probably acutely aware of how important it is to track all the different pieces of a project, and also to know which projects are profitable, and which aren’t. But, that’s easier said than done, right?
There are many project management tools out there – some better than others – but not all of them take costs, budget-comparisons, and invoicing into account. And those that do are often standing separate from your accounting program, so you have to duplicate everything. These shortcomings have many of us return to the trusty Excel spreadsheets. But, spreadsheets are prone to human error and, of course, you still need to bring transactions into your accounting program.
What you need is a program where you can not only manage your project, but one that also syncs with your accounting program.
Between Xero Projects and WorkflowMax, you’re bound to find a project management tool that is easy-to-use, quick, and most importantly, accurate.
Let’s have a look at these two tools and which one is best for your business:
Xero Projects is the perfect app for simple tracking needs. It is especially suitable for the professional services industry. You can track all your projects, allocate expenses and labour time to it, and quickly see which projects are profitable. And, thanks to the mobile app, you’ll be able to do this from anywhere, anytime.
Who it is for:
Xero Projects is suitable for solo practitioners to midsize businesses, especially in the professional services industries. It is only available to Xero customers, though.
- Monitor budgets, cost, staff time, and profitability per project
- Easy to set up
- Capture time and expenses
- Accept deposit payments against projects
- Invoice according to progress
- Compare actual costs to estimates
- User access rights can be set to projects only, so staff in the field can add bills and time spent on projects on-the-go
- Mobile app
$7 for the first user per month + $5 for every additional user per month. See more here.
Xero Projects offer a 1-month free trial
WorkflowMax is the more heavyweight sister app to Xero Projects. It’s an all-in-one app that can help you improve productivity on your projects, and bills and invoices only need to be created once – they are automatically pulled through to Xero.
WorkflowMax integrates with Xero, but you don’t need to be a Xero customer to use this app.
Who it is for:
Small to large business who need more advanced features.
- Manage leads, clients, job costing, scheduling, task allocation, timesheets, work-in-progress, capacity, purchase orders, and documents in one place
- Bills and invoices are created only once and synced with your accounting program
- Customisable templates, reports, and categories
- Powerful reporting features
- Receipt Bank
- And many more
Starts at $15 for one user per month. Click here for more pricing options.
Test WorkflowMax for free for 14 days
If you need any help choosing the best tools for your business, project-management-related or otherwise, get in touch with us.